Friday, July 6, 2012

Sympathy

I don't usually enjoy attention but I've kinda needed it during the past few weeks. I've needed to know people believe in me and will be there for me. I feel a little more motivation to be strong every time someone tells me they support me.

Sympathy wears many colors. Ever since finding out Baby Hudson has Spina Bifida I've received sympathy in the form of emails, phone calls, prayers, and even flowers from my husband and my coworkers at Middlebury. (Aren't they beautiful?!)


The sympathy I was most surprised by came from my neighbor. She said, "I'm not sorry for you that you're having a baby with Spina Bifida. I think it's going to be really great for you." I loved that! She certainly has sympathy but not pity. It's easy to confuse the two, but what I really need is sympathy--not pity.

I got a call from UCSF yesterday. The tentative plan is surgery on August 7th. And so the countdown begins...

4 comments:

  1. Jenna, I haven't written anything because I haven't known what to say, I still don't. But I want you to know that my thoughts and my prayers are with you and Isaiah and baby Hudson. I pray that the surgery will be successful. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! You can go camping with us!! Our lives are still normal for another month and we'd love it if you can squeeze us in. Maybe this weekend?

      Delete
  2. Jenna, who are so amazing!! I have always looked up to you so much, ever since elementary! When I heard, I told my husband, "If anyone could do it, it's Jenna, she will be the most incredible mom ever!" and you already are now! I have been reading you pasts posts and I feel pumped now to be a better mom myself! My prayers are with you and your family!!! I would really love it if you needed me to do anything to help, feel free to get a hold of me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lovely lady. Just wanted to reaffirm to you how wonderful you are. I read in your earlier post about the thought you had regarding how hard this will be for your baby and thought to myself... that's why Jenna is the one who can handle this. You already have that pure motherly love that will see you through this.
    And I just had to smile at your worry about having a hip to hip scar. That was one of my biggest 'fears' for when I was preparing for open heart surgery. (Hey... we're still women and we still want to be beautiful, right??) :) But if it helps alleviate worries, I'll tell you honestly, it isn't even 1% as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I'm still 100% me and my scar is only one more story that adds to who I am.
    You are so loved and are always in our prayers. LOVES!!!

    ReplyDelete