Wednesday, August 1, 2012

SF Day 2

Today Isaiah said, "It's not as bad as a thought. I thought it was going to be BORING." Easy for him to say because he didn't have to lay in a tube for 2 1/2 hours without moving. I'll be honest--the MRI was not my favorite part of our evaluation.

MRI Experience: I stopped eating at 10:00 in hopes of limiting Baby Hudson's movement during the MRI so the doctor could get accurate images.Near 2:00 I prepped for the exam by changing into my first ever hospital-style gown. I liked it! The large blue pants with a huge drawstring (tie in the front), the large patterned top (two ties in the back), the blue and white striped robe covering everything (tie in the front)...it reminded me a little bit of the boy in the striped pajamas. I wish I had a picture of myself. The exam had two parts: one to see Baby Hudson's brain and another to see Baby Hudson's spine. My job? Don't move. So I didn't move! I didn't even scratch my nose when it itched so bad I wanted to scratch it off my face. For 20 minutes of the MRI I had to hold my breath for 15 second intervals. I felt my baby moving more than ever before but the doctor said Baby Hudson held just still enough to get the pictures she needed. Each picture made a weird buzzing/beeping noise which made the 2 1/2 hours a little less relaxing than I anticipated, but I did fall asleep for some parts of it after extreme boredom set in. I'm glad it's done.

We've now met with almost everyone and we've done all the necessary evaluations. We'll get our MRI results tomorrow. The doctors know we've basically decided to do surgery. As we're accustomed to, we received more surprise news about needing an additional two shots in my booty prior to surgery. Since fetal surgery will take place after 25 weeks, the baby is considered "viable", which means he could be delivered if needed or if my contractions don't stop. With that risk, I need a betamethasone (steroid) shot to help the baby's development. I got the first shot today and will get the second tomorrow. Only after the shot did the nurse tell me it's one of the worst shots. My tush was a bit sore but the pain left quickly. Phew!

5 comments:

  1. Phew! The thought of all you are doing because you love this little guy is so amazing. We continue to keep you and your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jenna! You are super mama already, by my estimation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We are glad you are getting such great help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying like crazy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hospital gown sounds so much better than the kind at my hospital. They use the kind that opens in the back--whenever I have to wear one, I ask for a second one to wear in reverse.

    ReplyDelete